Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Pond at Meadowlark


When we came to this land, there was an old sign out front that said "Meadowlark." It was pretty decrepit and I always planned to make a new sign but never did. I still think of this land as Meadowlark. We have two little ponds. The one you are looking at is the bigger of the two--and its still pretty small. The other is smaller and totally covered with fresh, organic, watercress. The good thing about having these ponds is that the whole animal neighborhood comes down to drink. We have a blue heron, ducks, turtles once in a while. Turkeys, a fat fine fox and her kits. Once I even saw a marten. And of course: deer. We have a whole herd up on the hill and in the spring, if we are lucky, we get to see tiny fawns, smaller than a medium-sized dog being brought down to the edge of the pond to drink. You might say this pond is a blessing magnet, the well-spring of life on our land.
Bye for now.

3 comments:

  1. Pretty. For a second I thought the first body of water was the pond. Wow, that is small, I thought. Then I saw the pond :)

    Roger

    ReplyDelete
  2. how delightful to have you so present to us all, Jason! I love reading these simple entries. Thank you - I am so glad you are jamming again!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I glanced through your eyes,
    for a moment
    walked your steps
    and what was revealed
    is here
    for all to see.
    ~~~~~~~~
    SHARING MEADOWLARK

    lend me your eyes
    that I might see
    the waters of your land
    where students gather
    to drink of your pond
    to wander hand-in-hand

    Show me your forested
    winters growth
    your stillness frosted glass
    the rugged fallen
    leaves of life
    narrow and wide
    your path

    Share with me
    your sweet delights
    see what your eyes have seen
    tread slowly while my gaze adjusts
    to new places i have been

    ReplyDelete