Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Traveling

I'm on the road for the next day or so, headed up to Cape Cod for some retreat time. I'll be revising the Impersonal Movement/2 Manual for the upcoming class and working on my new book of poems, "The Fight of Fists." They had a surprise snowstorm up there on Tuesday (the Weather Channel said "clear and sunny") and we had 14" of snow. More to come on Sunday. Retreat time is very important for all of us. Even if we don't spend time meditating, doing physical exercise and contemplating Reality, retreat time--like Sabbath--is a time for a different take on what is important, what is pleasurable and why we often only reluctantly give ourselves what we need so much. Retreats are a time for a different rhythm.
I wish everyone a good Holiday Season, a happy and healthy new year and a surplus of time to re-examine life in its strangeness, beauty, complexity and simplicity. Bye for now...

1 comment:

  1. This subject is dear to my heart because to do what one feels is really necessary can be so antithetical to one's environment, to all the expectations of everyone around. Most recently, I want to do nothing at all! We are buried in snow here in northern Minnesota, and I only want to hibernate! I succumbed to an "ought" yesterday, and made myself exercise vigorously. That was a mistake! I aspire to the courage to live exactly according to how I feel. Thank you for the encouragement to do so!

    ReplyDelete